Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Social Justice Speaker

On November 17th, our FYS class listened to Social Justice Speaker Rose Jacobs Gibson. Rose Jacobs Gibson worked for the San Mateo County of Supervisors for 14 years. She just recently stepped down, but she continues to help her community in any way that she can. While listening to her give her speech, I thought that the Hallmark she most reflected was Hallmark 4. Hallmark 4 states "We Commit ourselves to community service.". Throughout her time of being Supervisor she committed most of her time to community service, and coming up with ways she could help her community. While she was giving her speech the topic she talked about was giving back to people of her community. She also believes that Justice and Peace are two very valuable things in the world that need to be practiced in our everyday lives. This also closely reflects Hallmark 3, "We educate for an act on behalf of justice and peace in the world.".

I aspire to reflect these values in my own life because they very closely relate to what I want to do with my career. Being that I want to work with foreign policy, I have to work for Justice for people around the world along with peace. I need these two values in order to come up with compromise, and compromise is something that is always needed when negotiating with other countries. I also aspire to obtain the type of Leadership that Rose Jacobs Gibson had. She was able to make a difference in her community, and I want to be able to make a difference in the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment