Thursday, September 1, 2016

Hallmark 4

Last week on Friday we got to be informed on our service and partnership with the Marine Science Institute and what exactly we would be doing. Being that we are working with fourth graders from Ravenswood School, we are expected to be mentors for the children. Assisting them with any help that they need, making sure that the children are safe, and being someone that they can look up to while we are there. Ultimately being an older brother or sister for them. Hallmark 4 "We Commit Ourselves To Community Service" seems like the most relevant Hallmark for our planned Community Engagement Activity, and the most appealing to me personally.  Why the CEA? Well, our service is to not only help with the children's learning experience, but to also ensure that the children are having a fun time. While doing this, us as mentors as well learn. We learn how to adapt to teaching younger children, and a wide variety of personalities. This will help us as mentors truly understand the different methods of teaching, and the different ways teaching can be approached. Along with being able to be teaching mentors, we will be creating a partnership with the Marine Science Institute. This is what Hallmark 4 addresses, committing ourselves to community service through academic and co-curricular activities. This personally resonates to my life because I used to attend programs that the Marine Science Institute has. Whether it was a park program, or a church program, I always had an older mentor to look up to and teach me new things. It always made me look forward for summer, and it made me want to become a mentor myself in High School for children at the local middle school. So I'm very much looking forward to this CEA.  

No comments:

Post a Comment